Whole Wheat Caramel Pecan Rolls
Could there be anything better then caramel pecan rolls? Jason has been asking for cinnamon rolls for awhile now, but cinnamon rolls need to have frosting! I knew I could make yummy cinnamon rolls that were healthy and use maple syrup and dates instead of refined table sugar, but I have yet to discover a good recipe for vanilla frosting! I know I could always make coconut whipped cream, but it just isn't the same. Caramel Pecan Rolls, however, are a whole different story! You don't need white sugar frosting for them to taste great! This recipe was eaten up in moments. Sweet and toasty and oh so fast! This is a yeast-free recipe which means that from start to finish you could have Caramel Pecan Rolls in about 45 minutes. Over and Out.
Adopted from: www.irunonnutrition.com
- 1 3/4 c white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 c unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp canola or coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3/4 cup pitted dates (tightly packed)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp canola or coconut oil (you can reduce the oil to 1 tbsp and it is still just as good)
- 1/4 c toasted walnuts (these are added to the filling after dates are blended)
- 1/2 c pecans
- 1/4 c maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Toast walnuts for 5-10 minutes. Watch them like a hawk. They can burn or catch on fire if you don’t keep an eye on them. (TIP: I set a timer for 60 seconds and I keep restarting it and rechecking every minute until they are done).
- Cooking time varies depending on the type of oven or which oven rack you put them on.
- When you can smell the toasty walnuts they are done, set aside.
- Turn off your oven and reset it to 375F.
- Dough: Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl–set aside.
- In a small bowl stir vinegar into almond milk and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat coconut oil (omit this step if using canola) until it melts (microwave or stove top) and add to vinegar almond milk with maple syrup and stir.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir until combined (dough will be sticky).
- Liberally flour a flat surface and knead dough until smooth (you may need to sprinkle on some more flour until dough can be rolled out). Roll into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.
- For filling: In food processor combine dates, cinnamon, and oil (you can add a bit of almond milk if needed) until a smooth paste forms.
- Spread evenly over rolled out dough. Evenly sprinkle toasted walnuts over the top.
- Roll dough up from one of the long sides and slice into 10 even pieces.
- Glaze: pour maple syrup and pecans into a bread pan. Shake around until pecans are coated with maple syrup. Spread over the bottom of pan. Sprinkle cinnamon if desired.
- Place cinnamon roll pieces into bread pan.
- Bake for 20 min.
- Remove from the over and flip upside down so that the pecans are on top.
One Reply to “Whole Wheat Caramel Pecan Rolls (Vegan and Refined Sugar Free)”