Marinara Alfredo Whole Wheat Gnocchi
The best way I know to impress at a dinner party is to make homemade gnocchi! It's been a trick up my sleeve since high school. I think I might have made it for every boyfriend or boyfriend potential over the years. Naturally this was the dish I made Jason for our first valentines dinner together. ❤ I don't think words can express how rewarding it feels to sit down to a nice big bowl of potato pasta... potato pasta that you made from scratch! This delicious gnocchi is made with whole wheat flour, potatoes, and salt. It takes longer then most recipes I post but when you need a treat or want to impress someone special then why not? It goes really nice with roasted balsamic zucchini, San Pellegreno, and your very own Jason! 😉
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 – 2 c white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- water, if needed
Marinara Alfredo Sauce Ingredients
- Boil potatoes for 40-45 minutes (or until cooked), insert fork to see if potatoes are soft. Strain water and let potatoes cool enough to to peel.
- Place potatoes into a bowl, mash until smooth, and add salt.
- Add 1 cup of flour and stir to combine. Eventually you will need to kneed with your hands. Add the rest of the flour about a 1/4 cup at a time until dough isn’t sticky anymore. You might not need all the flour or you might need more depending on how water logged the potatoes got.
- Divide the dough into parts and roll each one into long ropes about ¾ inch in diameter, cut each rope into 1 inch long pieces.
- You can make simple gnocchi shapes (like spheres or squares) or more fancy depending on how much time you have.
- To make more traditional gnocchi, take each piece and lightly pressing down over a fork.
- Bring water to boil, add gnocchi and boil for 2 minutes, or until gnocchi begins floats to the top, remove with a slotted ladle, and set aside.
- Make 1 batch of white bean alfredo sauce and cashew parmesan.
- To serve: place a cup of gnocchi onto a plate and pour 3-4 tablespoons of white bean alfredo over the top. Mix 2-3 tablespoons marinara sauce with the alfredo over the pasta and then sprinkle a 1/2 tablespoon of both cashew parmesan and chopped sun dried tomatoes over the top. Garnish with black pepper.
- Serve hot with a side of roasted vegetables or a salad.