Popcorn: Curry Powder and Peanut Oil
There are times when I don't use oil to season my popcorn and there are other times when I’ll drizzle a teaspoon over the top. Whether you choose to use oil or not is up to you and your own personal health issues. I used peanut oil because it was sitting on my counter. Sometimes that’s just how a recipe is formed! I usually pour the peanut oil out when I open a new bottle of natural peanut butter because I figure I just don't need that extra oil in my life. It only becomes a challenge when you get to the bottom of the jar and it’s really really dry. Well, just open a NEW jar of peanut butter and mix this bit into that jar! One day I poured the oil into another bowl and set it aside. When evening came the peanut oil was still sitting on the counter as I was popping some corn and I thought... I wonder how it would taste on popcorn? I poured a teaspoon of peanut oil over my air popcorn, experimented with a few different herbs and spices, and this recipe was born. If you enjoy an international flare to your snacking needs then you won’t want to pass up this treat!
- 1/3 c popcorn
- 1 tsp peanut oil
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1/8 tsp curry powder
- A few sprinkles of Creole Seasoning (or salt)
- For typical air poppers (like this one) pour 1/3 cup popcorn kernels into the popping chamber. Place the cover on top of the base and make sure the sides are seated in the groove.
- Place a 2 to 4-quart or larger heatproof bowl under the popping chute to collect popped corn. One batch will yield 5 to 6 cups of popped popcorn.
- Plug in the machine (or switch the bottom to ON depending on what model you have)
- Once the popping starts, it will take about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Unplug the machine when the popcorn is all popped. Be careful, as the machine will be HOT.
- Drizzle peanut oil over the top of your popcorn. Now you can add your nutritional yeast, ground flax seed, curry powder and creole spice or salt (if desired). Be careful not to OVER salt.
- I like to eat my popcorn in a HUGE bowl so that I can scrape up the extra seasonings with each handful.
2 Replies to “Popcorn: Curry Powder and Peanut Oil”
This sounds really delicious. Please make some next time we get together at your place.
Ok dad, sure! I would love to!