Baby Greens Beets and Pumpkin Seed Salad
I bought one of those HUGE bags of organic baby greens from Costco and it's my favorite salad mix to date! I also picked up a pack of pre-boiled organic beets. I LOVE BEETS and I've really enjoyed combining the baby greens with beets, fresh oregano (what????), red peppers, and pumpkin seeds (my most favorite salad topper). Then I like to drizzle some tahini lemon dressing all over the top! It's true, I love tahini lemon dressing. I'm constantly coming up with new excuses to eat it! It's good on hot foods or cold foods. You choose, it won't matter, it will always be yummy! If you're sick of eating tahini, then stop by next week because I'm going to post a spicy oil-free salad dressing recipe made from tofu! Get creative and make some dressing!
Recipe adopted from:
- 4-5 c baby greens (swiss chard, spinach, and kale)
- 2-3 small beets
- 1 small carrot
- 1/4 c red bell pepper
- 1-2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1/8 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder or to taste
Use pre-boiled beets. However, if you do not already have pre-boiled beets then you can follow these instructions:
- Scrub the beets clean.
- Place in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover the tops.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer about 45 minutes to 1 hour until beets are tender. (Alternatively, throw beets in a crockpot with enough water to cover the tops of them, turn it on high, and cook for 2-3 hours).
- Once cooled, peel the beets by pushing the skins off with your fingers or a butter knife. The peel should easily slide off.
- Chop carrots and red bell pepper, set aside.
- Wash and finely chop oregano (if using) and in a small bowl combine with lemon juice, tahini, 1 tbsp water, garlic powder, and salt. Stir until combined.
- Mix baby greens, carrots, red peppers, pumpkin seeds, and lemon tahini dressing together until everything is combined and vegetables are coated. Serve with a baked potato, toast, or rice and beans.
- Dig in!