Oatmeal Coffee Cake with Streusel Crumb Topping
This is by FAR Jason's favorite thing that I make. Honestly, it's not one of my favorites. That is probably because I've never been a coffee cake fan. It's ok, but there are so many other desserts that I would rather eat! My dad travels a lot and when I was a kid sometimes he would surprise us by bringing home Starbucks crumb topping coffee cake as a treat. I would eat it because I was a kid and I ate sugar in any form possible, I wasn't crazy but it wasn't something that I got really excited about either. Jason loves coffee cake, doughnuts, cinnamon rolls, and anything cinnamon and/or cake related. I like ice cream cookie sandwiches, peanut butter date paste on apples, and most chocolate related things (links below). It all comes down to preferences. Maybe the reason Jason loves this recipe so much is because he basically gets to eat the whole pan by himself (since usually I would rather eat something else for dessert instead). This isn't the healthiest recipe on the blog (I feel like I say this a lot) with the oil, earth balance, and coconut sugar but it is A LOT healthier then typical coffee cake recipes because of the oatmeal, apple sauce, and whole wheat flour. Just remember that it's a treat, and you shouldn't be like Jason and eat the whole pan!
Maple Syrup cake
chocolate brownie bites
Recipe adapted from: Starbucks Coffee Cake
- 1 c unsweetened apple sauce
- 2/3 c old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed, plus 2 tbsp water
- ½ c coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp oil
- ¼ c almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ c white whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
Streusel Crumb Topping
- 3/4 c white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 c coconut sugar
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- ¼ c earth balance, cubed and room temp.
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coffee Cake: Heat applesauce and rolled oats in a large bowl in the microwave for about 4-5 minutes (on 60% power).
- In a small bowl mix ground flax seeds with water and set aside until it forms a thick gel.
- In a large bowl (or KitchenAid) mix white whole wheat flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda together.
- Add oil, coconut sugar, almond milk, vanilla, and flax gel to the cooked oats and applesauce bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients with the dry ingredients until combined and pour into a greased 8×8 pan.
- Streusel Crumb topping: add all ingredients (except earth balance) and mix until combined.
- Cut room temp Earth Balance into small chunks. Use a fork (or mixer) to mash earth balance into coconut sugar/flour mixture.
- When well combined and crumbly pour streusel crumb topping over coffee cake.
- Shake pan to spread streusel out evenly.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes. Until tooth pick comes out clean.
- Cut and serve hot.
- If you want to really indulge you can add an additional teaspoon of Earth Balance to the top of each slice so that it will melt as you eat the piece (this is what Jason does to mimic a local bakery. Totally unnecessary, but possible).