Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Grains
This is the last recipe I'm going to post before Christmas. I've always loved Christmas, but I haven't enjoyed it as much in the past few years. Maybe it is because I'm getting older and don't have kids yet? This is probably true, but I think it is something else as well. Growing up in MI we had buckets and buckets of snow. I loved snow. I miss snow. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love our southern California winters where I swim laps in the outdoor pool and road bike all year around. I love that, but at Christmas time... it makes it harder to get in the Spirit. When there is mounds of snow outside your front door each venture out is an adventure into a snow globe-y world. I feel like it is now harder to make it magical. See? Being so close to Disneyland is messing with my brain. How do you get into the Spirit? I'm tired of listening to Rock'n Around The Christmas Tree over the radio and the chaos of buying all the right gifts. I think the thing is, we just need to breath and let go. Just stop and smell the snow (or green grass in my case). We need to enjoy the simple things and embrace the magic of what Jesus did for us. We need to let go of the passing things around us and hang on to the Lasting things above. So fill a bowl with some hot cooked cereal with cinnamon, apples, and walnuts. Get yourself a cozy blanket and snuggle in. Don't forget to spend some time thinking about the first Christmas in a land and time that seems so very far far away. The world has just as many horrible things happening now as it did then, but He came so that we may have hope! All we have to do is ask for it. Because of His beautiful gift we have so much to be grateful for and, I supposed, one of those for me is not having to shovel snow this Christmas.
- 1/2 c barley (or spelt, kamut, or just use 1 type of grain if you can’t find any other)
- 1/2 c farro
- 1/2 c oat groats
- 4 1/2 c water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 c walnuts
- 3 small apples, chopped
- 3/4 c raisins
- 3/4 c ground flax seed
- Bring 1½ cup whole grains, 4½ cups water and ½ tsp salt to a boil.
- Cover, turn heat down to medium-low and simmer for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Crockpot: Mix water, salt, and whole grains together and cook over night on the “warm” setting or for 3 hours on the “high” setting.
- While whole grains are cooking wash and chop apples into bite sized pieces, set aside. Combine raisins, walnuts, and ground flax seed, set aside.
- Mix hot cooked grains with the toppings and serve.
2 Replies to “Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Grains”