Grain Free Apple Crumble Crisp
Some people give up grains because that is the In Thing to do right now. I don't support that. Unprocessed whole grains (like oats, brown rice, quinoa, etc.) are packed full of fiber and nutrients and they help you feel satisfied and stay full for much longer then vegetables or fruits do. There are people who cannot eat grains. Some people have legit allergies or celiac. If you are in the that boat, I apologize for your loss... and this recipe is for you!
Apple Crumble Crisp Ingredients
- 1/4 c pecans
- 3/4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- ½ c walnuts, toasted
- 5 large medjool dates
Cooked Apple Filling
- 8 small granny smith apples (or 4 large)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ c date paste
- Candied pecans:
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Mix pecans, maple syrup, and cinnamon together and spread onto cookie sheet.
- Toast pecans for 5-10 minutes. Watch the pecans like a hawk. They can burn or catch on fire if you don’t keep an eye on them. (TIP: I set a timer for 60 seconds and I keep restarting it and rechecking every minute until they are done.)
- Cooking time depends on the type of oven or oven rack you put them on.
- When you can smell the toasty pecans they are done.
- Crumble Topping
- Toast walnuts in a separate pan but use the same oven as the pecans for 5-10 minutes.
- Watch carefully as walnuts can also burn quickly.
- When walnuts are slightly browned and you can smell the toasted nuts then they are done.
- Remove pits from dates.
- Using a food processor, pulse 5 large dates and 1/2 cup toasted walnuts until a crumbly topping has formed. Set aside.
- Cooked Apple Filling
- Wash and chop apples.
- Mix apples, lemon juice, cinnamon, and date paste together in a medium saucepan.
- Cook apples over medium heat for 15-20 minutes until apples are very soft and to your desired apple crisp texture.
- Divide apple filling between 4 bowls.
- Divid crumb topping between 4 bowls.
- Top each bowl with a 1/4 of the candied pecans.
- Serve with ice cream or cashew pudding cream (recipe below).
I think apple crisp or apple pie needs ice cream. Sometimes that isn't an option to you. So having a nice sweet cashew cream recipe that takes almost no time to make will add to your enjoyment. This cream is best when chilled for a few hours in the refrigerator or for at least 30 minutes in the freezer before serving. Voilà!
Cashew Cream Ingredients
- 1 box silken tofu
- 1/2 c cashews (soaked overnight or for 4 hours)
- 5 large medjool dates
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Soak cashews for at least 4 hours (or over night).( TIP: Soak 2 cups of cashews at a time, drain, and store in the freezer for quick use in the future).
- Blend all ingredients together and serve.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
4 Replies to “Grain Free Apple Crumble Crisp”
Omg this looks great! Thanks for sharing.
Awe thanks Courtney! Toasted nuts are always the best! 😉