Vegan Whole Wheat Sourdough Biscuits
Warning: This is NOT a health food. However, this IS much much healthier BY FARE then the traditional biscuits you buy in the freezer section of your local grocery store. There is a lot of oil in this recipe. A lot more oil then I typically put in recipes on this blog, but these are biscuits and this is life. Treats happen and this is better then most biscuit recipes, it is mostly whole wheat flour too. If you are looking for a biscuit that is a bit healthier then these you could reduced the oil in the recipe below by half and add a 1/4 cup of unsweetened soy or almond milk instead. The sourdough gives these biscuits a nice tang and the coconut flavor is subtle. Enjoy with cashew gravy, jam, honey, or plain. 🙂
Recipe adopted from: Years of experimentation
- 2 c white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 c coconut oil, solid
- 1 c sourdough starter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Mix whole wheat flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- Cut the solid coconut oil into cubes and use a fork to combine until only small pieces remain and it starts to form a sand-like consistency.
- If you do not have a sourdough starter (ask your friends, this is the easiest way) then you can look online for different recipes (like this one) to make your own starter.
- Gently stir dough while pouring sourdough starter in. Mix to combine.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface, dust the top with a bit of flour and then very gently turn the dough over on itself 5-6 times – hardly kneading.
- Form into a one inch thick disc, handling as little as possible.
- Use a biscuit cutter or a small mason jar lid and push straight down through the dough, then slightly twist. Repeat and place biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet making sure they are just touching, this will help them rise uniformly. Gently reform the dough and cut out a few more biscuits.
- Gently press a small divot in the center using two fingers. This will also help them rise evenly, so the middle won’t form a dome.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until fluffy and slightly golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
- Do not store in the refrigerator (this will dry them out faster). Store in zip lock bag at room temperature for a few days or in the freezer for several months for optimal freshness.
- Serve with cashew gravy, jam, honey, etc.
One Reply to “Vegan Whole Wheat Sourdough Biscuits”