Easy Steel Cut Oatmeal (with Dates, Cinnamon, and Pears)
FAST FAST FAST EASY. Who has time to stand in front of the stove stirring a pot of steel cut oats? If you DID have the time... who would want to? Let a rice cooker do the stirring for you! Throw everything into a rice cooker. Hit START. And you are good to go. Have a fancy rice cooker? Then set it on the delayed timer and you have fresh oatmeal in the morning. I like to make a big batch and portion it into smaller containers for fast access later. This way you won't be AS tempted by doughnuts at the office... because today you had time to get breakfast before work. Work smarter not harder. Eat more plants. Crap like a champ.
Recipe adopted from: Brain Logic
- 1 c steel cut oats
- ½ c dates, pitted
- 4 c water
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 pears, chopped
- 1/2 c raisins
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1-2 c coconut almond milk (almond breeze), unsweetened
Additional ideas for toppings:
- 2-4 tbsp coconut flakes
- 2-4 tbsp almond slivers
- 2-4 tbsp cocoa nibs
- 2-4 tbsp peanut butter
- 2-4 chocolate chip cookie bars (recipe here)
- Remove pits and stems from dates and chop into small pieces.
- Place dates, steel cut oats, salt, and water into rice cooker.
- Turn on. It will cook for about 45 minutes without additional attention needed (the best way).
- While waiting wash and chop pears and prepare other toppings of choice, set aside.
- When the rice cooker is done portion oatmeal into four bowls, add toppings, and enjoy!
4 Replies to “Easy Steel Cut Oatmeal (with Dates, Cinnamon, and Pears)”
love it, love it, love it!! I eat oats every morning…I even just eat them raw now, with almond milk and coconut flakes, raisins, cut up almonds, cut up apples, little brown sugar, 2 tbsp of ground up flax seed….. so friggin’ yummy! Throw it all together and eat! Wicked fiber for those arteries, keep’s you so healthy! xo 🙂