Brown Rice Tofu Kale Bowl With Sriracha Peanut Sauce
Peanut Butter! Peanut Butter! PEANUT BUTTER!!! As you know, I like sauce. Here is another sauce to add to your list. So good on steamed vegetables (especially broccoli or green beans), salad, and brown rice or quinoa.
Medium Grain Brown Rice
- 1.5 c brown rice, uncooked
- 3 c water
- 1 ts salt
Baked Tofu (oil free)
- 1 pkg tofu, extra firm, drained
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1-2 tbsp bragg’s liquid aminos (or low sodium soy sauce)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 bunch of kale (or 1/2 of a 10 0z bag of pre-chopped kale)
- 1/2 c water
- 1/2 tbsp bragg’s liquid aminos (or low sodium soy sauce)
Sriracha Peanut Sauce
- 5 tbsp water
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp braggs liquid aminos (low sodium soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Medium-Grain Brown Rice:
- Pour 3 cups water and salt into a pot or rice cooker. Bring to a rolling boil and add brown rice.
- Lower heat and cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Turn heat down to the lowest setting. Cover and cook for 15 additional minutes. Turn off heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- If any liquid remains in the bottom of the pan or if the brown rice is still a bit crunchy, return the pot to low heat and cook, covered, for an additional 5 minutes, until all the water has been absorbed. Set aside.
- Baked Oil Free Tofu:
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- Open package of tofu and drain water. Wrap tofu in a paper towel and let sit for 10 minutes. This will remove excess liquid.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silpat.
- Gently Cut tofu into cubes. First cut 4 even slices length-wise and then 5 slices horizontally. Then cut pieces in half to make smaller symmetrical cubes.
- Place cubes in a large casserole dish (or bowl or plate) to season. Drizzle tofu with liquid aminos and sprinkle nutritional yeast, garlic powder and onion powder over the top and gently toss together.
- Gently transfer tofu onto baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes then take out and carefully flip cubes. Bake an additional 6-8 minutes (until golden brown).
- Sriracha Peanut Sauce:
- Stir all of the peanut sauce ingredients together in a bowl with a spatula or spoon until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Add another 1/2 to 1 tbsp of water if needed (depending on desired thickness).
- Store in refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Steamed Kale:
- Wash, de-stem, and chop kale into bite size pieces (or buy pre chopped kale)
- In a large heavy pan heat ½ cup water to a boil. Add kale and reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally until kale is softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add liquid aminos. When kale is soft and slightly wilted, remove from heat and set aside.
- To Serve:
- Place 1 cup cooked brown rice, 1 cup steamed kale, and ½ cup tofu cubes in a medium sized bowl and drizzle 2 tbsp peanut Sriracha sauce over the top. Serve hot.