Vegan Apple Salad
Apple salads are not salads, they are desserts with raisins. This is a plant-based version of the classic potluck side dish. Typical Apple Salad recipes contain sour cream or cream cheese or mayo or cool whip (or a combination), sugar, nuts, dried fruit, an apple, sometimes celery... not really a salad (I don't see no lettuce). I had some leftover cashew cream from a cooking class and I decided to dip an apple slice into it... this salad was born. With raw ginger and cinnamon I could technically call this a superfood salad, but I won't. If your grandmother usually makes Apple Salad for Thanksgiving, then maybe give her a break this year by trying out your hand at this quick recipe. No one needs to even know that it's vegan and healthy. It's ok, it can be our little secret. SHHHH...
Cashew cream taken from: Apple Crumble Crisp
Vegan Apple Salad Ingredients
- 2 large apple, any variety
- 4-8 tbsp walnuts, toasted
- 4-5 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
- 4-5 tbsp raisins (and/or craisins for a holiday spin)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp raw ginger, minced
- 2/3 c cashew cream
- 1 box silken tofu
- 1/2 c cashews
- 5 large medjool dates
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Soak cashews for at least 4 hours (or over night).( TIP: Soak 2 cups of cashews at a time, drain, and store in the freezer for quick use in the future).
- Remove pits and stems from dates.
- Blend all ingredients together.
- You will only need 2/3 c of the cashew cream and the rest can be used in another recipe (or eaten with a spoon).
- Store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Toast walnuts for 5-10 minutes. Watch the walnuts like a hawk. They can burn or catch on fire if you don’t keep an eye on them. (TIP: I set a timer for 60 seconds and I keep restarting it and rechecking every minute until they are done.)
- Cooking time depends on the type of oven or which oven rack you put them on.
- When you can smell the toasty walnuts then they are done, set aside to cool.
- Wash and chop apples into small pieces.
- Wash and grate fresh ginger (or use a carrot peeler to shave off a few flecks).
- Mix apples, toasted walnuts, raisins, coconut flakes, cinnamon, ginger, and 2/3 cup of cashew cream. Stir and chill for 2 hours (or eat immediately).
- Store in airtight container for a few days but no longer then a week.
4 Replies to “Vegan Apple Salad”
Just wrote out the recipe as well as saving it…. thanks for the tip of soaking the cashews then freezing them. Wasn’t aware of this! Great time saver which I need! xo
glad to help! 😉
this looks amazing!! i will definitely b trying it!!! thx also for the cashew cream recipe. so looking forward to making it too!!