Tahini Tofu Zucchini Bowl
Tahini sauce pretty much makes everything better! It's all about the sauce anyways... You don't eat toast naked. You don't eat wings naked. You don't eat romaine lettuce or french fries naked. Why eat cooked vegetables naked? It's all about that Tahini Garlic Sauce. What's great about this recipe is that if you have already cooked your quinoa ahead of time (rice cooker is the easiest) then this bowl will take less then 25 minutes to prepare!
Recipe adopted from: Chaco Canyon Seattle, WA
- 1.5 c quinoa, uncooked
- 3 c water
- 1 ts salt
Baked Tofu (oil free)
- 1 pkg tofu, extra firm, drained
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1-2 tbsp bragg’s liquid aminos (or low sodium soy sauce)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Sweet potatoes
- 2 medium zucchinis, washed and grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tbsp bragg’s liquid aminos (or low sodium soy sauce)
Tahini Garlic Sauce
- 1/4 c tahini
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- Pour 3 cups water and salt into a pot or rice cooker. Bring to a rolling boil and add quinoa.
- Lower heat and cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Turn heat down to the lowest setting. Cover and cook for 15 additional minutes. Turn off heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- If any liquid remains in the bottom of the pan or if the quinoa is still a bit crunchy, return the pot to low heat and cook, covered, for an additional 5 minutes, until all the water has been absorbed. Set aside.
- Baked Oil Free Tofu:
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- Open tofu package and drain water. Wrap tofu in a paper towel and let sit for 10 minutes. This will remove excess liquid.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Gently Cut tofu into cubes. First cut 4 even slices length-wise and then 5 slices horizontally. Then cut pieces in half to make smaller symmetrical cubes.
- Place cubes in a large casserole dish (or bowl or plate) to season. Drizzle tofu with liquid aminos and sprinkle nutritional yeast, garlic powder and onion powder over the top and gently toss together.
- Gently transfer tofu onto baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes then take out and carefully flip cubes. Bake an additional 6-8 minutes (until golden brown).
- Sweet Potatoes:
- Scrub and peel. Chop into bite sized pieces.
- Place on a microwaveable plate and microwave for 10 minutes. Poke with a fork, if still undercooked, microwave for an additional 2-3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Tahini Garlic Sauce:
- Stir tahini paste, water, minced garlic, lemon juice and salt together in a bowl with a spatula or spoon until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Steamed Zucchini:
- Wash and grate zucchini with the the large holes of a grater.
- In a large heavy pan heat ½ cup water. Add minced garlic and stir in grated zucchini. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally until zucchini is softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- To Serve:
- Place ¾ cup cooked quinoa, 3/4 cup sweet potatoes, 3/4 cup steamed zucchini, and ½ cup tofu cubes in a medium sized bowl and drizzle 2 tbsp tahini garlic sauce over the top. Serve hot.